Top 5: Annoying habits of Malaysian drivers

There's a lot that can be said about Malaysian drivers, most of that negative. I've been driving regularly for more or less 5 years now and I've encountered my fair share of bad drivers on the road. Here's a list of what I consider to be the most annoying habits of Malaysian drivers.

5. Using the wrong lane to turn/go straight at a traffic light
At most traffic lights, you either have a lane to go straight only, a lane to turn only, or a lane for both going straight and turning. Problems happen when someone is in a turn-only lane, or a straight-only lane, but they do the opposite. It's not only annoying, but also very dangerous.

4. Don't know roundabout rules
Roundabouts can be quite a pain, especially with people who don't know the rules. You want to exit at 9 or 12 o'clock? Take the outside lane. You want to exit at 12 or 3 o'clock (or u-turn at 6 o'clock)? Take the inside lane. Don't take the outside lane to exit at 3 o'clock, cutting off someone on the inside lane who wants to exit at 12 o'clock.

3. Changing lanes while turning a corner
This is really annoying. When you turn a corner and someone in the other lane starts coming into your lane and cuts you off. If you don't back off it's a definite fender bender. The same applies when going around a roundabout.

2. Extreme tailgating/headlight flashing
Travelling between KL and Kuantan regularly means I'm on the highway a lot. And even going at 110-120km/h, there are still the occasional speed demons who push 150-160km/h. If I'm overtaking another driver(s) and they come up behind me, that's when the flashing starts. I would gladly move over after I have overtaken the slower drivers, but they just keep flashing on. Makes me wanna block them off even longer.

Image: The Telegraph
1. Not using turning signals properly
If I'm waiting at a junction to enter the main road, I expect cars coming my way to go straight if they don't signal. When they turn instead, I feel like ripping their fingers off very mad. What's worse and even more dangerous, is when they signal to turn, but end up going straight. If I go thinking they will turn, but they end up going straight at full speed, the door between me and the incoming car won't protect me.

That's it. That's what I consider the most annoying habits of our fellow Malaysians. Do you have any I haven't mentioned?

Popular posts from this blog

Are we witnessing the downfall of Apple?

5 differences between the black and white Nexus 5

Why Telegram is better than WhatsApp